1991–1998, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kans., PhD, English; dissertation: “Refiguring Historical Time: The Alternate History”
1989–1991, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kans., MA, English; thesis: “Archipelagoes of Stars: The Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith”
1984–1988, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn., BA, English; certified to teach high school
2000–present, copyeditor and writer, Jay, Me. | Freelance copyeditor and writer in the scientific, technical, and medical market
- Copyedit manuscripts online and on hard copy; size art; prepare disks.
- Typeset manuscripts in XML/SGML or other systems, using specifications provided by the client.
Relevant past employment
1996–2000, Allen Press Inc., Lawrence, Kans. | Director of Copyediting Services
- Coordinate copyediting services for more than fifty scientific and technical journals.
- Recruit, train, and supervise more than twenty-five freelance copyediting contractors; and supervise two full-time staff members.
- Research and write style for customers; prepare bids; meet with customers; and represent Allen Press at professional meetings by presenting or attending.
- Scientific, technical, and medical texts.
- Postmodernism, critical theory, and science fiction.
- Knowledge of the following styles: CBE, AMA, APA, Chicago, MLA.
- “Freelancing,” Short Course for Manuscript Editors, Council of Science Editors annual meeting, Pittsburgh, Pa., May 2, 2009.
- “Freelancing,” Short Course for Manuscript Editors, Council of Science Editors annual meeting, Austin, Tex., May 19, 2007.
- With Laura King, “Freelancing,” Short Course for Manuscript Editors, Council of Science Editors annual meeting, Tampa, Fla., May 20, 2006.
- “Freelance Science Editing,” Short Course for Manuscript Editors, Council of Science Editors annual meeting, Atlanta, Ga., May 21, 2005.
- With Stacy L. Christiansen (JAMA), chair, “Hiring and Training Copyeditors,” Council of Science Editors annual meeting, San Diego, Calif., May 6, 2002.
- With Peggy Chen, “Orienting Freelance Contractors,” American Medical Writers Association, November 2000, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- “Online Copyediting: Will It Work?” Allen Press Editorial Seminar, Washington, D.C., October 1999.
- “Online Copyediting,” Council of Biology Editors annual meeting, May 1999.
- “Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Copyediting but Were Afraid to Query,” Allen Press Editorial Seminar, April 1999.
- “Online Copyediting,” Allen Press Electronic Publishing Seminar, November 1998.
- “Writing a Good Scientific Paper,” Engineering Department Seminar, University of Kansas, Lawrence, November 1998.
- American Medical Writers Association, June 2000–present.
- Board of Editors in the Life Sciences (BELS), 1998–present.
- Council of Biology Editors (now Council of Science Editors), 1997–2000.
- Course in managing production, SSP, April 1999.
- Course in online copyediting, EEI Training, October 1998.
- Short course in manuscript publishing, Council of Biology Editors, May 1997, May 1999, May 2009.
- “AHRQ Releases Practice Guidelines for Celiac Disease Screening.” American Family Physician, May 1, 2005. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0501/.
- “IDSA Releases Guidelines on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetic Foot Infections.” American Family Physician, April 1, 2005. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0401/p1429.html.
- “Report on the Diagnosis, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Children and Adolescents.” American Family Physician, March 1, 2005. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0301/p1014.html.
- “ACS/ADA/AHA Issue Core Recommendations for Preventing Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, and Diabetes,” American Family Physician, February 15, 2005. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0215/p806.html.
- “ACG Releases Updated Practice Guidelines for Ulcerative Colitis in Adults.” American Family Physician, February 1, 2005. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/0201/p604.html.
- “NIH Consensus Statement on Phenylketonuria.” American Family Physician, April 1, 2001. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0401/p1430.html.
- “American Cancer Society Issues 2002 Guidelines for the Early Detection of Cancer.” American Family Physician, August 15, 2002. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0815/p682.html.
- “NIH Releases Statement on Osteoporosis Prevention, Diagnosis, and Therapy.” American Family Physician, July 1, 2002. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0701/p161.html.
- “NIH Statement on Adjuvant Therapy for Breast Cancer.” American Family Physician, May 1, 2001. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0501/p1857.html.
- “NIH Consensus Statement on Phenylketonuria.” American Family Physician. April 1, 2001. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0401/p1430.html.
- “AAP Issues Recommendations on Infection Control in Physicians’ Offices.” American Family Physician. February 15, 2001. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0215/p787.html.
- Book reviews for current science fiction releases for Publishers Weekly (2000–present).
- Issues of Science Fiction Research Association Review (newsletter for Science Fiction Research Association members) available upon request (coeditor and reviewer).
- Issues of Cottonwood magazine (literary journal) available upon request (production manager 1991–1998; copyeditor 1998–2000).
- Monthly column about copyediting in JP: The Allen Press Newsletter (newsletter for Allen Press clients), August 1996–December 1997.
- Guides for copyeditors on SGML tagging and on Penta coding; written in 1998 and continually updated through 2001.
- Copyeditors’ Guide, Allen Press Inc. November 1996; revised February 1997. Detailed, book-length guide for Allen Press contract copyeditors.